Despite the rain we’ve been having lately (which seems to be just about every day), I’ve managed to squeeze in some meals cooked on our grill. This week, I’ve chosen to highlight an idea my husband and I decided to experiment with yesterday. Having an abundance of hamburg made from deer meat in our freezer, we wanted to come up with something different, and as a result made taco burgers!! Now this may sound strange to some of you, especially with the addition of using deer burger instead of beef hamburger, but surprisingly everything turned out pretty well. So, on that note, let me share with you our quick and easy recipe for taco burgers!
- 1 lb ground beef/hamburg
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- shredded taco or mexican cheese
- taco sauce or salsa
- lettuce and sliced tomato, hamburger buns
Preparation and Cooking:
- In a large bowl, mix taco seasoning in with ground hamburg with either a fork or by hand, adding the 3 tablespoons of water if needed to make the mixing process easier.
- After taco seasoning is thoroughly mixed in with the meat, cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours (I made my meat mixture around lunch time and let it sit in the refrigerator for about 5 hours).
- When it’s time to cook the taco burgers, form hamburg into patties about 1/4 inch thick and place on grill.
- Cook burgers on medium heat, flipping burgers occasionally to assure drainage of excess juices and to make sure burgers do not stick to grill. I use a meat thermometer.
- Serve taco burgers with your favorite taco toppings (tomatoes, lettuce, taco/mexican cheese, taco sauce, salsa, etc.).
And there you have it — a bit of spice and something different to add to your backyard grilling adventures!