~ * Homemade Apple Pie * ~
It’s practically FALL!! And for people in my town that means it’s time to start visiting the local orchards and farmers’ markets for some vegetables, pumpkins and APPLES!! Here is a simple and yummy recipe for making a homemade apple pie — crust and all! There are actually different ways to make apple pies and I would like to share those recipes with you, but for today, I’d like to start with just a basic apple pie recipe that I used from my Betty Crocker’s Picture Cook Book* (copyright 1950, General Mills, Inc.). If you try it, let me know how it turns out!!
Preparation/Cook Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes Oven: 425 degrees F
Pastry for 2-Crust Pie Ingredients (for a 9″ pie):
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 4 tbsp water
Pie Crust Prep:
- Mix together the flour and salt in a medium-sized bowl.
- Cut in shortening.
- Then sprinkle dough mixture with water.
- Gather dough together and press into a ball.
- Cut dough in half. Sprinkle work surface lightly with flour. Roll out dough in a “round”, 1/8″ thick shape that is 1 inch larger than the pie pan.
- Place rolled out dough in pie pan.
- Roll out the other dough the same way to make the top crust.
Apple Pie Filling Ingredients:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon or nutmeg
- 7 cups sliced apples
- 1 tbsp butter
Apple Pie Filling Preparation:
- Peel apples and quarter them, taking out cores and seeds, and slicing them thin (about 1/4″ thick).
- In a large bowl, mix together sugar and cinnamon (or nutmeg).
- Add apple slices and mix lightly through.
- Pour apple mixture into pie pan that is lined with the pie crust.
- Slice the 1 tbsp of butter and scatter on top of apples.
- Cover with top crust.
- With oven at 425 degrees F, bake for 50-60 minutes until crust is nicely browned and apples are cooked through (I tested it with a fork).
Another tip, place a cookie sheet or a “sheet” of aluminum foil on the rack under the pie pan so that any juice from the pie does not drip onto the bottom of your stove and burn.
~* ENJOY!! *~