~*Refrigerator Pickles *~
I’ve received many requests for this pickle recipe over the last few weeks, and as many of you are probably trying to find things to do with your cucumbers that you have harvested from your gardens, this might come in handy!! I was able to fill at least five 12 ounce canning jars with this recipe. You can also make this recipe and make your pickles in one larger jar. My dad received this recipe from his friend, John P., who often brought in pickles he made from his garden’s cucumbers. Here’s the recipe:
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 handful of dill (I used 1/4-1/2 of a package of dill that I found at our local supermarket in the produce section)
What to do:
- Boil all ingredients together (except garlic, dill and cucumbers).
- Let mixture cool completely.
- Cut cucumbers into wedges and place in jar(s).
- Add garlic (separate head into pieces) and a handful of dill to jar (I just evenly dispersed the dill and garlic between the jars).
- Add cooled mixture to the jar(s), making sure the liquid covers the cucumber wedges completely.
- Cover top of jar(s) with aluminum foil and then put lid on, making sure it is sealed tight.
- Let jar(s) sit in refrigerator for 1 week.
You can add as much dill and garlic as you would like to your jar(s), depending on how strong you would like the flavor. You can also add a bit of crushed red pepper to the jars to make it a little more of a “hot” mixture. I prefer mine with alot of garlic, so I added more clove pieces to each of my jars.
So there you have it! I hope you enjoy your pickles!!!
(I know I did!)